This past weekend I finished cutting all the fabric. One thing I've learned in this process...
You really don't need that much fabric!
Especially if you're using 8 different fabrics and you're making a small quilt. I definitely bought more than I needed!
Anyways, after cutting I very hesitantly moved onto the next step: placing the squares in their pattern.
This part was so much fun! I laid the fabric down on the floor, alternating colors and patterns, but keeping in mind that it didn't need to be perfect.
I just continued lying fabric squares down in a pattern until I achieved my desired quilt size, keeping in mind that the squares will be smaller once sewn.
After I convinced myself that if I kept on going this quilt would end up being a lot more work, I moved onto the next step...
Part of me thought I should start pinning the fabric together...then I got some sense and realized that no pinning is necessary.
So, I numbered each row like this:
Then, being careful to keep the squares in order, I piled each row up, moving left to right.
In the end I ended up with 10 piles of neatly stacked fabric.
Now when I gain enough courage and time, all I have to do is grab a pile and begin sewing the squares together, top to bottom, left to right! I'm feeling more confident already! Except that now we know we're having a boy and I think if I hadn't been so convinced we were having a girl I would've picked manlier colors!