So! Finally after almost a month I got started on giving these guys a makeover!
First, I painted multiple coats of white acrylic paint to each. This proved much more difficult than spray paint, but considering my circumstances, I stuck with the ol' brush.
Then, I used my handy sandpaper sponge (as seen in my picture frame turned tray post) and distressed the edges, corners, and along the details.
This is what the shelf looked like after new paint and some sandpapering:
Wasn't quite right! Because of the light yellow color underneath, the sandpaper distressing method wasn't enough to bring out the details and really make these shelves look like I wanted them to.
So, I got brave and used my Distress Ink (in Walnut Stain) for the first time!
This stuff is great and you can find it at Michael's for about $5 in the scrapbooking section.
I applied the ink pad directly to the shelf, being careful to stay on the outer edges and raised details.
After that I used a rag to smooth the ink out and take off any excess that lingered around.
And here's the end result!
Don't stress, distress! (Yea, I thought of that one on my own.)
I'm linking this up with WhisperWood Cottage's 1st Project of the Year Party!!