5.13.2012

Sunday: Eternity

Mothering has taught me: Raising children is of eternal worth.
I love movies with larger than life stories, ones that take you on a journey, and include huge obstacles that are eventually overcome. I love it when a film leaves me with this feeling that although the movie is over, it never really ends. Movies are great movies to me if there is a legacy left behind.
Frodo will always be remembered as the hobbit who destroyed the ring. Mikey from The Goonies has a story so grand that it'd be passed down throughout the generations. Willow...who could ever forget his courage and heart, so much bigger than his height! Don't even get me started on The Labyrinth, James & The Giant Peach, The NeverEnding Story, The Secret of Moonacre, Princess Bride....
When I step back and really think about my family, over generations, the extension of our tree, Finn being of the same blood as my Grandaddy, Steven's Granny, then I begin to feel the same way I do while I'm watching one of those adventures unfold on the television screen. Because in continuing our family line there's the ability to create traditions that will carry over for years and years, the venture of exploring everyday happenings and explaining how they point back to God our Creator, power to stop generational sin, the gift of sharing the Gospel in the intimate setting that home provides.

"The Lord knows the days of the blameless, and their heritage will remain forever" Psalm 37:18
All of the toil, the unchecked items on the checklist, the errands and chores are meaningless and shy in comparison with today. Because today I got down on the floor to laugh with my son, I sat in the sun with him and described the changing seasons, listened to happy silver-haired musicians pluck the banjo, found Spot again in the basket, ate applesauce, laughed at the dogs jumping to snatch pieces of tomato out of the air, whispered Gospel truths while sleepy eyes traced the movement of my mouth, rocking back and forth back and forth in the dim-lit nursery..."I love you so much Finn, I am so proud of you...and the best part is God loves you even more."

"Do not labor for the food that perishes, but for the food that endures to eternal life, which the Son of Man will give to you." John 6:27
Mothering has taught me that those moments ring out into eternity.
Mothering has taught me that investing in my son is lasting.
Mothering has taught me that I am a part of the greatest, never-ending adventure.
"Blessed be the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ! According to his great mercy, he has caused us to be born again to a living hope through the resurrection of Jesus Christ from the dead, to an inheritance that is imperishable, undefiled, and unfading, kept in heaven for you..." 1 Peter 1:3-4


Mom, I hope you know the incredibly significant role you play in my life. Thank you for standing beside me, always encouraging me even when I didn't understand, knowing that one day your daughter would become a woman and a mother of her own. I'm sorry for the countless times I've forgotten what a blessing you are. I'm so delighted that you're Finn's grandmother, that you were there for his first breath, and that he will carry parts of each of us throughout his life.
Mom, Happy Mother's Day!

Allison


”The

No comments:

Post a Comment